Where Can I Get PrEP?

PrEP must be prescribed by a medical provider, just like any other prescription. Several insurance companies cover the cost of PrEP and in certain instances, people may qualify to obtain PrEP directly from the manufacturer at no cost.

A number of PrEP research studies are being conducted in the U.S. For instance, the California HIV/AIDS Research Program of the University of California is funding PrEP studies for cisgender women and transgender populations. The women’s study is open and actively seeking participants; the transgender persons’ study is expected to open in Fall 2016 (both of these studies offer PrEP at no cost to participants).

While taking PrEP, you should have >>>

  • Doctor visits every 2-3 months
  • HIV tests at least every 3 months
  • Evaluations for side effects, adherence and risk